I'm moulding both legs together in the same mould. This saves on time and the materials used. It also makes it easier to cast both legs at the same time. The split line will run down the inside and outside of each leg and around the base of the shoe.
As before I added plasticine keys and built a foam board box around the clay. The biggest difference with this mould is that the clay wall was built up higher against the sole of the shoes. I had to be careful that this still allowed the two half of the mould to be separated.
Above are the legs ready to have the second half of the mould added.
The chest is made in the same way. You may have noticed that I added K&S to the arms. The K&S helps to suspend the armature in the mould when its time to cast. I add Vaseline to the K&S to stop it from sticking to the polyurethane resin.
Above is the final sculpt for the hair. Its made in Plastiline and attaches to the back of the head with K&S. Once again I made a two part mould.
The sculpture featured some small undercuts but because I'm casting in a soft and flexible silicone they didn't cause any problems.
That's the end of my mould making marathon. I now feel much more confident at making two part moulds, but I'm glad I can now move on and concentrate on other aspects for puppet building.
I thinks that enough for today.
Next I'll be using the moulds I've made and casting all the body parts in coloured silicone.
Thanks for looking.