Saturday 12 February 2011

Armature Construction

Using the my armature design drawings I decided to make a test version of the 'Mail Man' armature. I was able use this armature in my 'Mime Project' to test if it works OK. This was the first time I would be using the silicone hands that I made and my new home made ball and socket joints at the neck. 
I started by cutting all the K&S square brass tubing and aluminium tubing I would be needing. I used my diagram to make sure all the pieces were the correct length. Next I twisted and cut all the Aluminium wire, using 3x twist for the legs and spine and 2x twist for the arms. I used heat shrink tubing around the wire to protect it from the sharp edges of the tubing. This means that the wire should last longer before eventually breaking.
I used epoxy resin to glue all the parts together making sure everything was the correct length and symmetrical. Instead of making new feet I recycled some from an old puppet I made in my second year at Uni.

In the picture above you can see the armature fully assembled with the new hands. I used white milliput (epoxy putty) to strengthen some areas. The milliput on the neck is what I will use as the core of the head.

Finally I bulked out the chest and waist using blue foam that I carved into shape. I cut out a square channel in the foam to give access to the rig point in the waist. The next step will be to continue bulking out the figure using sponge.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nathan,
    I have a question about K&S tubing. How do you fix smaller tubing in larger? I saw in some book, that there should be M3 nut to keep hands and feets on place. Thank you for time, your work is amazing, I wish if i can do half of this things.
    Have a nice day, John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      You're absolutely right. That's a great way of doing it.
      Solder a nut on the larger piece and use a grub screw to hold the smaller K&S inside. Perfect.

      Here's another method.

      Using something pointy like a nail, gently hammer a small bump into the larger K&S. When the smaller K&S is inserted inside, the bump makes it a very tight fit and holds the K&S securely.

      I hope that answers your question.
      Have a great day :)

      Delete
  2. How does the wire stay in the tubing? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Aluminium wire is glued into the K&S with epoxy. ;)

      Delete
  3. what size do you recommend ?

    ReplyDelete