Sunday, 6 February 2011

Hands Part 3

After completing the moulds I decided to cast out a pare of hands as a test. The first step was to mix the silicone. The original colour is white so I pigmented it using a mix of oil paints until it became a fresh colour.
After I achieved the desired colour I added the catalyst and a catalyst booster that accelerates the reaction meaning it will cure faster.

I painted in the first layer of silicone to help avoid air bubbles. Then I inserted the wire armatures and filled each half.

The two halves were then quickly sandwiched together and clamped while the silicone set.

After everything had cured, I opened up the mould and removed the hands.


The excess silicone 'flashing' is cut off as part of the trimming and seaming process.
Finally here are a pare of finished Silicone hands.
 





3 comments:

  1. Hi nathan, i have to say that all this information its very usefull and you are doing a great job.

    My question is, why you did the casting with Silicon its not more flexible the latex?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silicone is a two part mix. Foam latex is usually like a 5 part mix and is very difficult to mix. Silicone vulcanizes at room temperature. Foam latex has to be put into a kiln. Silicone is much easier to clean than foam latex. Silicone reacts with light in a similar way to skin, but latex doesn't.

      Delete
    2. Hi Federico.
      Sorry I must have missed your comment.
      What James say's is exactly right.
      (thanks James, nice catch :)

      In a nutshell, Silicone is easier to use, looks better and lasts longer.

      Delete